Lingonberries pair exceedingly well with lamb, and I keep a jar of Lingonberry jam on hand for chops and loin. This evening I fancied pushing the flavour a bit further than store bought jam, and decided to make a sauce. This red wine reduction was put together on the spur of the moment from ingredients that were on hand, and is a rich, dark sauce with a balance between spice and sweetness. Feel free to substitute flavours to your own liking.
Contains red wine
Preparation: 2 minutes | Cooking: approximately 15 minutes
- 1 glass red wine (save the rest of the bottle for with dinner)
- 1 tablespoon Lingonberry jam or preserve
- 1/2 cup of orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown or unrefined sugar
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary (a couple of fresh sprigs would have been better)
- A pinch of ginger, cinnamon, etc.
- Salt & pepper to taste
Place all the ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Stir occaisionally and reduce down to approximately 1/2 to 1/3 cup of sauce.
Serve hot, poured over lamb loin or lamb chops.